Monday 1 October 2012

Brown Bread Ice Cream

I love ice cream - who doesn't (?!) but I have never wanted to own an ice cream maker as it always seemed like a bit of a waste of money. I have spent many hours researching different ways of making ice cream that was quick, easy and above all delicious, a few weeks ago I found what I thought was the perfect recipe, I added a few tweaks of my own and made it this weekend.  I have to be honest when I told Stuart what I was making he looked slightly horrified, I mean brown bread ice cream perhaps doesn't sound as appealing as it really is.
This is an old-fashioned English flavour which has been popular since the Victorian times, brown bread ice cream has a rustic, nutty, satisfying flavour with a hint of caramel. Make sure you use interesting types of bread - seeds,nuts, oats etc to give the ice cream a different flavour each time you make it.


Ingredients:

2 slices of brown bread/bread rolls
85g brown sugar
2 egg whites
2 egg yolks
1tsp vanilla extract (not flavouring which doesn't taste as nice)
85g icing sugar
300ml double cream

Method:

Whizz the bread in a food processor to make crumbs.
Combine the bread with the sugar and mix well.
Spread the mixture thinly on a baking tray (I put tin foil down first to protect the tray) and grill under a moderate heat for 15 minutes - try to keep stirring it until it is caramelised and crunchy.
Put to one side for later.

Stuart checking the egg whites were stiff!
Whisk the egg whites until stiff in a large bowl.


Add the vanilla extract to the egg yolks and then combine with the egg whites.
Whisk together the icing sugar and double cream until floppy - be careful not to over beat it otherwise it will be too stiff.
Fold together the double cream mix, egg white mix and the bread mix.
Pour into a container and freeze for at least 5 hours.
Enjoy!!




The basic ice cream mix can then be adapted to make lots of different flavours, try adding cocoa powder to the icing sugar and melted chocolate to the cream for a yummy chocolate ice cream - the choices are endless.
Let me know how you get on with this recipe, you won't believe how great it tastes!






No comments:

Post a Comment